My Recent CPP Conference Talks

My Recent C++ Conference Talks

Hi All,

I want to share with you my year of C++ conferences, Sep-2021 till July 2022.

The main goal is to encourage others to submit talks to conferences (please feel free to consult with me - you can reach me via this forum or directly by email). A second goal is to summarize for myself and for you the talks that I gave this year.

To read more on the C++ conferences list you can go through two blog posts we recently posted (this first one and this second) .

Core C++, September 2021

Core C++ is an international C++ conference taking place in Israel. I am one of the organizers of this conference and in 2021 we managed to win over Covid and make the conference happen.

My talk at the conference dealt with the complexities of C++, asking are these complexities a real “No” for learning or getting to use C++, or just some noise and interference that we can and should manage to gain the advantages C++ brings.

The talk was recorded, but it was given in Hebrew. If you still want to listen to it and your Hebrew is not strong enough, don’t worry there is also a version in English given at CppCon, see below.

Results from my survey at Core C++ on “What makes C++ complex for you” can be found in this blog post.

CppCon, October 2021

CppCon is the biggest and most famous C++ conference, held in the last years at Aurora Colorado, near Denver. In 2021 I gave two talks at CppCon:

1. Understanding and mastering C++'s complexities

Giving again my talk from Core C++. Now in English. The talk was given as the opening talk of the Back to Basics track, aiming at convincing beginners that although C++ is considered hard you can still master its complexities.

A survey on “What makes C++ complex for you” was conducted again, with results summarized in this blog post.

2. Algorithmic Complexity

Though the name is quite similar to the previous talk, this talk was focused on the big O complexity of algorithms, mainly in the standard library. Analyzing the complexity and understanding the constraints and actual performance implications of different data structures and operations is important. Here is a link to the talk.

ACCU, April 2022

ACCU 2022 celebrated 25 years. At this workshop I gave a full day workshop and 90 minutes talk. The workshop was on “Understanding and mastering C++'s complexities”, yes I like this name and I play around with it with different formats and content. The workshop focused on closing gaps for beginners and intermediate level programmers in the fine details of C++.

My 90 minutes talk at ACCU was on teaching C++, a topic I like talking about, and it was focused on a specific case study of “Learning from C++ Juniors’ Mistakes” here is the recording.

C++ Now, May 2022

C++ Now is perceived as the most advanced C++ conference out there, hosting the top gurus of the language, so giving a talk there may get one a bit cold feet. My talk at C++ Now was again on teaching C++, titled “What Makes Good C++ Programmers: a Continuous Search for C++ Teaching Recipes”. You can find the recording here.

C++ On Sea, July 2022

C++ on Sea is an international C++ conference taking place in the south UK, as the name suggests: on the sea (the English Channel). My talk at C++ On Sea included live coding, implementing max, with the title “Six ways for implementing max: a walk through API design, dangling references and C++20 constraints”. Recording of this talk was not published yet, but here is a trip report mentioning this talk.

CppNorth, July 2022

C++ North was a brand new conference in Toronto with great talks and atmosphere. I was about to give one talk on “The fine details behind C++ containers and algorithms” but spontaneously filled out additional two slots with “Are you structure bindable? A tour via concepts, SFINAE and Herb Sutter’s pattern matching” (which I gave before as a talk at Core C++ Meetup) and “What Makes Good C++ Programmers: a Continuous Search for C++ Teaching Recipes” (which was a rehearsal of the talk given at C++ Now). Recordings are not ready yet, but here is my trip report.

Summary

It was quite a year for me! A lot of work, but plenty of fun.

Preparing a talk for a conference is a bit stressful, but you learn from it a lot.

I strongly encourage you, the reader, to submit talks to conferences. There is always something you master more than others!

Looking forward for the next conferences around the corner:

• Core C++, September 5 to 7, where I will be giving a workshop (similar to the one I gave at ACCU, see above) and a talk with Tomer Vrumen on [[likely]] and [[unlikely]].
  • CppCon, September 11 to 16, where I will be giving two talks in the “back to basics” track, on Object Oriented Programming and on Testing, and an additional talk with Tomer Vrumen (the same one we are going to give at Core C++, probably addressing comments we may get at Core C++).

See you around, if you are attending any of these conferences come and say hi!

Yours,
Amir Kirsh